Choosing a Mail Client
As part of the initial setup for the Helm Personal Server on the Helm app, users set up their primary email account using their phone's native email client (e.g. Apple Mail or Samsung Mail). Once setup is completed, users can then set up their email account on other devices like a laptop or iPad.
The most common mail clients are as follows:
macOS: Mail, Outlook
Windows: Windows Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird
Android: Standard email, Gmail app
Other mail clients may work as well if they support IMAP over TLS and SMTP over TLS.
General Setup Steps
From the Helm App...
- Once in the app, go to Settings > Email > Configure New Device.
- Choose a name for your device or client to help you identify it (ex: Laptop Outlook) and then take note of the user name, password and server settings. Do not exit out of this page in the app until you have used the information to set up the device. As a security measure, this information will not be shown again after the screen has been exited.
- Enter the information from the Connection Info screen on the device to be configured.
From the Newly Configured Device...
Choose your email client. To configure your account:
- Look for an option to add a service (e.g. email, calendar, contacts)
- Look for an Advanced (or Manual) option for entering in server settings manually
- Enter the user name, password and server settings from the Connection Info screen
You will now be able to use your Helm account on your device.